Sunday, May 17, 2009

Susan G. Komen Walk for the Cure

It's been one week since I walked in the Susan G. Komen Walk for the Cure.  What an inspiring experience that was.  The last time I wrote on my Blog, I talked about my friend, Lori Workman who had gotten me involved in this project.  Well, last weekend, May 9th, our Gilmore Girls and Company team of thirty two people met at 8am.  We were part of more than 18,000 people who were there to walk for the cure of breast cancer.  Many of these people were walking to honor a loved one who had lost their battle with cancer, but there were also thousands of survivors, including my brother's mother-in-law, Melba Blair, who is a thirty year survivor.  She is ninety-four years old and with the help of her daughter and grand-daughter walked the 1-mile fun walk. She wound up on a tv news report about the Walk, and was even interviewed for a documentary that is being produced.

I was able to walk the 1-mile fun walk with my special "niece", Lisseth's, mother, Graciella.  She is here from Venezuela and was part of our team.  After just having my last chemo-therapy on Wednesday, May 6th, I wasn't ready to do a 5k.  In fact, the 1-mile was almost too much for me, but I did it.  

It was hard to fathom how many people took part in this Walk.  When we were in the middle of it, we looked behind us, and there was a sea of people for as far we could see, and it was the same looking forward.  My son, Mark took pictures, as well as practically everyone on the team, so, if I can figure out how to put pictures on here, I'll post some of them. 

The most impressive part of the Walk were the number of women who had fought this incidiece disease and won.  There was a survivor's parade following the Walk that was at least two-thousand strong.  It really strenthened by belief that my fight can and will be won.  I'm so thankful I took part in this event, and I'm planning to do it again next year.  Then I can be a survivor, too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment