Saturday, June 20, 2009

Where Does theTime Go?!?

Today is June 20th.  I haven't written on my blog for over a month.   I don't know what happened to me.  The last month has been a total loss with anything productive.  I began my radiation therapy on May 21st and that's all I've done.  I go to the Huntsman Center five days a week.  My appointment is at 3pm, so I leave home about 2:15pm in order to get there on time. The appointment usually takes only about fifteen to twenty minutes, but with waiting time I usually don't leave till about 4pm and get back home between 4:30pm and 5pm.  The radiation therapy itself usually wipes me out, so by the time I get home, I just want to crash.  Needless to say, we've done alot of takeout lately.  I've had twenty-one treatments so far, and I still have nine to go.  The area that's being treated is very red, and is becoming quite sensitive.  It feels like having a very bad sunburn, following a day at the beach.  I keep my skin slathered with a special lotion for radiation burn, and it does help, but it will just be nice to have it all behind me.   

My hair's beginning to grow back.  I have about an eighth of an inch all over my head.  The radiation therapists tell me once it starts growing it really comes in fast.  I thought if it's grown alot by the time I have my last treatment, then maybe I'll take my scarf off and let them see it. That's the one good thing about going everyday for these treatments.  I've really gotten to know the therapists well.  My favorite is Debbie.  She has such a fun personality.  We always have a good laugh or two while I'm there.  I've decided the key to getting through this whole process is to keep a smile on my face and in my heart, and laugh as much as possible.  

It is now Wednesday, June 24th. and I still haven't finished this post.  Anyway, one of my friends from church, Janice Simmons, brought dinner to Pat and me tonight.  This is the second day this week that someone has brought dinner.  Monday my neighbor, Doty, brought over homemade shrimp fettucini.  It was delicious.  It's like I said before, I have the best neighbors and friends.  It really makes me feel guilty at times, because they've been so good to me, and I haven't felt that sick that I should be getting such wonderful help.  There will be a time when I can return the favor.  

I'm now down to six more treatments.  It's going by fast.  It will be so great to have all of this behind me.  I'll be on Tamoxifin (spelling?) for five years, and I'll be back for periodic checkups but the main treatments will be over.  I'm taking part in a study that I'll talk about in my next blog.  That's one of the good things about being at Huntsman.  I have the opportunity to be in studies that will help in the future treatments of cancer, but will possibly help me also.

This has been a difficult week for me.  My friend, Becky, that I wrote about in March, passed away on Monday.  She had colon cancer that had matastisized to her brain and then went to her pancreas.  She really fought hard, but the cancer just took over.  Her mother called me Tuesday morning and told me about her death.  She said that she only weighed about fifty pounds when she died. Becky was such a feisty gal, but the last three years have been hell for her.  Her husband, Mike, had fought cancer for two years before he died last July and then Becky wound up battling for her life this year.  Now she's gone.  I know that she's at peace and with her beloved Mike.  They were truly soulmates and I just don't think they could be apart.  She'll be missed. 

  

  

  

1 comment:

  1. Once again your stories keep me updated on how you're doing and your feelings. I pray to God no one else in our family has to face this evil but then only he decides. Sitting in the hospital for so long watching our Katie go through her own hell made me think about families who were going through cancer with a child, family member or friend. One day she said to her mom "Why is God doing this to me, I don't like God doing this to children" Her mom replied "But Katie, you're going to get better and go home, some kids with cancer may not get to go home and will die" This tugged my heartstrings and almost felt the same way Katie did, why! Keep fighting, Connie, we all love you and are here for you..........P

    ReplyDelete